Too often, out of sight is out of mind––at least when it comes to your home’s electrical system. But this isn’t a maxim you should embrace in this instance. Your electrical system needs regular care and maintenance. Electricity is a complex and potentially dangerous system. It’s important that you’re vigilant about giving it a regular checkup to be sure everything’s working as it should. Our Edelman Inc. professionals highly recommend scheduling an annual checkup by a professional electrician, such as the ones on our team here in Fairbury & Champaign, IL, to look out for safety and comfort issues.
The Importance of Preventative Maintenance
When it comes to electricity, it’s wiser and more cost effective to be proactive rather than reactive. You want your systems and appliances working well when you need them, especially in cases of emergency. During a storm if your electricity goes out, if your home generator has been sitting idle and hasn’t been checked, it may not start and you’ll be without backup power. But this is easily preventable with regular maintenance, since any problems would be identified and addressed by your professional electrician. The same could be said for any electrical system in your home. By repairing any problems early, instead of in an emergency or after-hours situation, you’d be saving money, as costs go up in these types of scenarios. Also, catching any potentially dangerous wiring in a proactive mode obviously is better than suffering the cost of a house fire.
A Professional Annual Checkup
Our expert Edelman Inc. electricians like to recommend our annual electrical checkup/inspection. During this appointment, we have the opportunity to do several things, such as check your electrical panel, use one of our infrared (IR) testers to identify if any circuit breakers are heating up too much in the fuse box, and tighten any wires around your home that have come loose or replace any that are damaged. We can examine your HVAC system’s electrical components to be sure they’re tight and in good order, allowing your HVAC system to work properly, both extending its life and allowing it to work at its highest efficiency to save you money in energy costs.
Although it may seem counterintuitive to spend the money on an annual inspection, in the long run it saves you money. Our electricians can inform you of easy and cost-effective ways to give you that extra protection against electrical costs and any possible electrical calamities.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Maintenance to Perform Yourself
Although we always recommend professional electricians to examine and work with your home’s electrical system, there are a few things you can do yourself as far as maintenance goes. If you discover something that needs to be addressed by a professional, don’t try fixing it yourself. Give our electricians a call at any time. They’re happy to come out and make that repair.
Things to do yourself:
• Test your GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets to be sure they’re working properly. If not, replace them immediately.
• Inspect your outlets and plugs for sparking incidents or too-loose scenarios where a plug won’t stay securely in the outlet. Be sure to call in a professional if you find one.
• Be sure your outlets aren’t overloaded with plugs. This is a safety hazard. If you find too many outlets overloaded, call one of our professionals to install more outlets, perhaps with built-in surge protectors.
• Take note if you have circuit breakers tripping or fuses blowing on a regular basis. This signifies your electrical need is higher than your electrical panel can handle. Call in a professional to address this one.
• Be sure all plugs and cords are a safe distance from any heat sources, like space heaters or radiators. Also don’t run cords under furniture, rugs, or blankets. This is a dangerous condition that can result in fire.
• Do not use extension cords as permanent solutions. Talk to your electrician about installing more outlets. Also, don’t plug appliances into extension cords. The majority of extension cords aren’t designed to handle high-powered appliances.
• Inspect outlets and switches for discoloring, warmth when touched, and buzzing/crackling sounds. If any of these scenarios are detected, call your electrician immediately. These could be signs of a fire hazard.
Again, this isn’t a comprehensive list of everything you can do on your own for electrical maintenance, but it can get you started. Call any of our Edelman Inc. professionals, and they can go over more preventive-maintenance tasks with you.
Keeping your home safe and comfortable is a priority for all. Our master electricians are always happy to discuss anything about your home’s electrical system that may concern you. Or if you need something repaired, call today at 217-403-9663 to schedule an appointment. Remember we offer service 24/7 for emergencies.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Edelman Inc. provides air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and electric services to Champaign, Fairbury, Urbana, Bloomington, Dwight, Gibson City, Gilman, Mahomet, Pontiac, Savoy, and the surrounding Illinois communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 217-403-9663, or request service online today.