More and more, you see LED lighting everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. LEDs (light emitting diodes) are formulated into bulbs and fixtures for most lighting applications. Even though LED lighting is a newer technology, our Edelman Inc electricians are knowledgeable and experienced with LED lighting installation, repair, and maintenance. You won’t find anyone more knowledgeable in the Champaign, IL, and Fairbury, IL, area than our electricians when it comes to LED lighting.
What Are LED Lights, and How Do They Work?
LED lights are lights utilizing solid-state LED technology, which produces light approximately 90 percent more efficiently than incandescent light. Energy Star® explains how LED lights work: “An electrical current passes through a microchip, which illuminates the tiny light sources we call LEDs and the result is visible light. To prevent performance issues, the heat LEDs produce is absorbed into a heat sink.”
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Advantages of LED Lights Over Incandescent Lights
LED lights have many advantages over more traditional lights, such as incandescent. Here are just some of their highly touted advantages:
- Smaller carbon footprint––by 2030, the U.S. government predicts LEDs have the potential to cut general lighting energy in half, saving both energy costs and carbon emissions.
- More efficient––unlike many fixture-type lights (such as under-cabinet and recessed lights) where only 50 to 60 percent of the total light production is emitted, LEDs emit light in a specific direction, with 80 to 90 percent of their energy becoming light.
- Smaller in size––the LED chips are small and thin, forgoing bigger glass bulbs, as they’re mounted in thin and narrow containers.
- Cooler in temperature––LEDs run much cooler than incandescent hot bulbs, which have the ability to start fires.
- Longer lifespan––an LED light lifespan is estimated to be at least 40,000 hours, which is 15 to 20 years (contingent upon how long it’s on each day).
- More durable––since LEDs have no filaments, they can resist heavy vibrations, shock, and external impacts.
- More lighting applications––they have many more lighting applications than their predecessors due to many of their unique characteristics (many just mentioned), such as their resistance to vibration and breakage, their smaller size, their ease of maintenance and long life, how well they perform in cold temperatures, their lack of ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) emissions, how they turn on instantly, their ability to be dimmed, and their ability to provide color control.
Edelman Inc expert electricians can work with you on any electrical application that supports LED lighting. Our experience carries over to installing, repairing, and maintaining LED lighting. Call us today at 217-403-9663 to discuss how we can work with you.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Edelman Inc. provides air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and electric services to Champaign, Fairbury, Urbana, Bloomington, Dwight, Gibson City, Gilman, Mahomet, Pontiac, Savory, and the surrounding Illinois communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 217-403-9663, or request service online today.