There’s a good chance your Champaign or Fairbury, IL, home could benefit from an electrical service upgrade, especially if your home is older than forty years old. Unfortunately, your home may not have enough power to accommodate all your home’s electrical needs. Not only can having older electrical service ruin your current appliances and devices, but it could be a safety hazard as well. Contact one of our experienced Edelman Inc electricians to discuss exactly how your home could benefit from an upgrade.
What’s Involved in an Electrical Service Upgrade?
Upgrading your home’s electrical service could mean only upgrading your electrical panel, or it could mean upgrading your home’s wiring system as well. The electrical panel is the center of your home’s electrical system. From there, circuits carry all the needed electricity to the appliances, lights, and outlets in your home. The panel determines how much power is available for distribution from the circuits to the appliances, lights, and outlets. How many circuits there are, as well as their sizes, decides how that power is distributed throughout your home.
If you were to open your electrical panel or breaker box, which you’ll typically find in your basement, garage, utility room, or a closet, you’ll see rows of switches. Each switch should correspond to a label on the inside of the panel door. That label should indicate which appliance or outlet it matches inside your home. The label usually also indicates the amperage allowed on that breaker before it’ll trip, which it does as a safety measure to avoid overloading.
To upgrade your electrical service, a qualified electrician, like ours at Edelman Inc, will ordinarily do one of three things:
- Upgrade your electrical panel, thereby bringing in more power to your home
- Replace your meter and circuit breaker box, giving it the ability to handle more power
- Replace the electrical panel or individual circuit breakers that are or could be damaged or too old.
In addition, your home’s wiring could also be upgraded or replaced. Adding more outlets and/or replacing current ones could go a long way in helping the electrical situation in your home. This is especially needed if you have newer appliances or technological devices. In the past, the standard household power was 60 amps, but homes now may need as many as 200 amps to safely run computers, high-definition televisions, air conditioners, and home-automation devices.
A perfect time to upgrade is during remodels or additions. This makes it an easier process for the electrician to access the wiring within walls and ceilings.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
How Do I Know if My Home Needs One?
There are some definite warning signs indicating an upgrade is needed. Some of the most common ones are:
- Your circuit breakers frequently trip.
- You hear crackling sounds coming from the breaker box.
- Appliances don’t run on their full power or lights dim when appliances turn on.
- You often use extension cords or adapters, because you need additional outlets.
- If your circuit breaker panels are older than 25 to 40 years old. (They may be too old to trip, which is a definite danger sign.)
- The outlets in your home are two-pronged instead of grounded three-pronged.
- Your outlets near water sources don’t have GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters) in them, which increases your chance of electrocution.
- You plan to add, or already have added, a high-power appliance to your home, such as an air conditioner or hot tub.
If any of these conditions ring true for you in your home, contact one of our Edelman Inc electricians to see how we can help.
Upgrading your home’s electrical service sometimes is a necessity for safety and common-sense reasons. When this is necessary, don’t attempt to do this yourself. While replacing an outlet or a light switch can be a DIY job, upgrading or replacing a home’s electrical service is a project only a qualified and licensed electrician can do. Electricity is not something where you want to take chances. Call us today at 217-403-9663 for a consultation on what may be needed in your home.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Edelman Inc. provides air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and electric services to Champaign, Fairbury, Urbana, Bloomington, Dwight, Gibson City, Gilman, Mahomet, Pontiac, Savoy, and the surrounding Illinois communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 217-403-9663, or request service online today.