Sump pumps are designed for only one purpose––to pump out water to keep the surrounding area in your home dry. They are usually located in the lowest part of your basement or crawl space. Since their purpose is to keep your basement, or crawl space, dry, it’s imperative to keep them in top working order via proper installation, maintenance, and repair. With the weather that we here in Champaign, IL, and Fairbury, IL, experience, our professional plumbers at Edelman Inc. know sump pumps. Let us help you keep your basement and its contents dry by caring for your sump pump.
Installing a sump pump in a home where there isn’t currently one is a precise project. It’s important that the elements of the sump pump, like the pit, the pump, and the lines, are installed correctly to be sure your home is protected from water and moisture. Our knowledgeable and experienced plumbers have been installing brand-new and replacement sump pumps for years, so you can trust we’ll do it right. We also are experienced with backup sump pumps. These are highly recommended in case your sump pump stops working for any reason to ensure things stay dry. We offer both battery and water-powered backup sump pumps. Call to speak with one of our plumbers to assess which would be a better fit for your needs.
As with any appliance, sump pumps need regular maintenance to ensure proper operation when the time comes. Our plumbers recommend both annual maintenance and maintenance every few months. Many, though not all, of the maintenance steps are things you can do yourself, but if you’d prefer, our plumbers are happy to do them all for you. Just give us a call.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
To do once a year:
- Pour a bucket or two of water, at least enough to raise the float or reach the switch, into the pit to be sure it empties. If it doesn’t, check that the pump’s plugged in and that drains are cleared. Call our Edelman Inc. plumbers in the event you’ve done all this, and the pump still isn’t working. You may need a replacement.
- Check the power source to be sure it’s operational. If you don’t have a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlet, it would be wise to swap your current outlet for one. Also check that all cords are in good working order and not frayed. A call to an electrician is in order if anything is amiss here.
- Clean out the pit. Be sure no debris is present to block the drain or lines.
- Remove the pump entirely from the pit and clean it. Be sure it’s flushed with water, and reinstall it. Be sure the pump is level and secure. An uneven or jiggly pump will affect the float and won’t pump correctly or sometimes even at all. This step is recommended to be done by our plumbers.
- Check the drainage pipes to be sure they’re cleared and connected tightly.
Maintenance for Every Few Months
To do every few months:
- Clean the pump’s inlet screen.
- Be sure the vent hole in the discharge pipe is clear.
- Pour a bucket or two of water into the pit to test that it empties, just like you do for annual maintenance.
- Double check your power cord is connected to the outlet, and inspect the power cord in general.
Ideally, you want to know your sump pump needs repairs before you need it to work for you. However, whether you determine something’s not working during maintenance or, unfortunately, during a heavy rain, you can always reach our plumbers to come out to make the necessary repairs. Some common signs that your sump pump needs repairs are:
- Bad odor
- Unusual or continuous cycling
- Rising water
If any of these symptoms occur with your sump pump, call us immediately. You definitely don’t want to wait on this. You could end up with a basement or crawl space full of water.
Sump pumps are important preventive-measure devices, protecting your home from water damage. Call our Edelman Inc. plumbers at 217-403-9663 if you suspect yours isn’t working properly or if you require maintenance to keep it in good working order.
Call Us at 217-403-9663
- or -
Edelman Inc. provides air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and electric services to Champaign, Fairbury, Urbana, Bloomington, Dwight, Gibson City, Gilman, Mahomet, Pontiac, Savory, and the surrounding Illinois communities. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 217-403-9663, or request service online today.